image - fire
About 40 firefighters worked to extinguish a fine in Moss Beach early Thanksgiving morning. Photo courtesy of Coastside Fire Protection District  

A home on Terrace Avenue in Moss Beach was destroyed early Thursday from a fire that resulted from an unknown cause, according to the Coastside Fire Protection District.

No one was home when the fire was reported, just after 6 a.m. on the Thanksgiving holiday. 

The Seal Cove neighborhood home at 96 Terrace Ave. was engulfed in flames when firefighters arrived, and at least 40 fire personnel were on the scene to put it out. Neighbors reported on social media of feeling on edge about the fire and some said they started packing in case an evacuation was ordered. 

The fire struck the morning after the first rainy day of the season, and, at press time, firefighters don’t have a clear idea of how it started.

“The structure was a total loss,” said CFPD Chief Ari Delay while on the scene Thursday. 

The owners of the home, who requested that their names not be used, wrote in an email to the Review that they are grateful that an early morning jogger had seen the flames and alerted the authorities. They noted a concern regarding several eucalyptus trees in the area and say they have made an effort to keep the flammable species off of their property. 

One minor injury was reported on the scene of the fire. A firefighter was transported to the hospital with a medical condition that may or may not have been related to the fire, Delay said. The firefighter was treated and released.

This is the second structure fire to consume a Moss Beach home in as many months. A fire destroyed a home on Lancaster Boulevard in the early morning hours of Oct. 9. The cause of that fire was determined to be related to a wood fire pit on the family’s balcony that had been used the night of the fire, CFPD Chief Ian Larkin confirmed on Monday. 

A second structure fire struck the Coastside just three hours after the Terrace Avenue fire was reported on Thursday. That fire, which was reported at around 9 a.m., consumed a 600-square-foot outbuilding on Wurr Road in La Honda, Delay said. The fire prompted the explosion of three propane tanks, but there were no injuries reported in that fire, which was contained by the volunteer Loma Mar Fire Department.

0
0
0
1
0

Recommended for you

Load comments