There’s nothing like a party, complete with energetic live music and dancing, to welcome in a new year. This fact isn’t lost on Coastside clubs, many of which are planning live music and complimentary champagne at midnight on Dec. 31. There’s even at least one place you can take the kids to welcome in New Year’s at 9 p.m., when the ball drops in Times Square in New York City.
Local spots where you can usher in 2013 include:
• Apple Jack’s in La Honda (747-0331), presents Eleven Wails playing reggae beginning at 9:30 p.m.;
• Cameron’s Restaurant and Inn in Half Moon Bay (726-5705) will tune its televisions to Times Square for a kids’ countdown at 9 p.m., complete with a piñata. Grown-ups can dance to the rocking Robin Campbell Band from 9 p.m. until midnight, when you can enjoy complimentary champagne. And there will be party favors and hats all evening;
• Café Gibraltar (560-9039) will celebrate with a live jazz trio at 8 p.m. and a midnight champagne toast;
• Cetrella in Half Moon Bay (726-4090) presents the West Coast Soul Band and a midnight champagne toast;
• The Half Moon Bay Brewing Company (728-2739) parties with blues and soul music by Tia Carroll from 5 to 9 p.m.;
• It’s Italia on Main Street in Half Moon Bay (726-4444) offers a more sedate New Year’s Eve with Celtic harp music by Angelica “Ella” Jenkins from 6 to 9 p.m. Two dinner seatings should carry you to a midnight champagne toast;
• La Costanera restaurant in Montara (728-1600) will celebrate with a deejay spinning Top-40 music for dancing in the downstairs lounge with complimentary champagne at midnight;
• The Miramar Beach restaurant on Miramar Beach (726-9053) will kick off a coastal New Year’s Eve with pianist Terry Disley from 5 p.m. until closing at 9 p.m.;
• The Mountain House restaurant up on Kings Mountain (851-8541) makes the hills ring with music for dancing by local band Blue, beginning at 9:30 p.m. There’s also party favors and a midnight champagne toast;
• Old Princeton Landing in Princeton (728-7096) presents Dub FX, California reggae, starting at 8 p.m.
• Pasta Moon (726-5125) presents “DJ Boomerang” aka Michael McNamara, playing a little of everything — soul, funk, world beat, contemporary classics, jazz fusion and more — from 7 p.m. to midnight;
• The Ritz-Carlton, Half Moon Bay (712-7000) will rock out with music from a deejay in the Conservatory Lounge beginning around 6 p.m. to go with two dinner seatings at Navio restaurant.
Pick from one or many, and have a safe and happy New Year’s Eve!